Monday, February 16, 2009

Revivalism

An item of concern that I have lately been contemplating is revivalism. Revivalism theology is based upon pragmatist ideology and is dominant in the conduct of many churches when attempting to carry out gospel ministry. Revivalist language and practice produces shallow converts who, when challenged in any manner, fall away. It oft reminds me of the parable of the soils.  Rather than understanding the parable and applying it to our ministry, many of us attempt to count the produce from the rocky soil, the thorny soil, and anything else that might have a pulse and accepts a part of the message. Great numbers are recorded and boasted as the mighty working of the Spirit of God; yet, when one attempts to find many of these 'converts,' they are extremely difficult to locate. This is often called the revolving back door of the Southern Baptist Church.  Converts come in, are assimilated into the body, and, after the honeymoon is over, they slide out the back never to been seen again to the dismay of the leaders. Hardening people's hearts and heads seems to be the overwhelming outcome of these revivalism practices as people are convinced and assured of the Kingdom of God. When any convert falling under this umbrella is confronted concerning their supposed faith, they label the concerned proclaimer of the truth as judgmental and continue in their rebellion.

Some traditionalists that I have the privilege to know state that this is just "how it has always been done," and I shouldn't aim at changing a long standing tradition. Leave well enough alone; if it was good enough for John the Baptist, it is good enough for me. (I have actually been handed the trail of blood that claims baptist lineage all the way back to John the Baptist). 

I don't want to give a historical and theological account concerning the issues above as others have done better, (read Iain Murray's; Revival and Revivalism--it is a great book dealing with this in detail), but my question today concerns our reaction against such practices. I personally have a tendency to throw the "baby out with the bath water," per se, and I don't intend to commit such a crime with my church's theological understanding and ministerial practices. So, in an effort to not attack or enter into irreverent babble, quarreling over words with those who prescribe to the new measures, my question is then--how does one preach the gospel? One might say, "Brian, you should have learned this before you became a pastor!" I'm not asking for the mechanics of the gospel, but how might I avoid revivalism practices, leading to shallow man-centered conversions, ushering many to perdition as they comfortably grasp their assurance, only to be rudely awakened when they hear, "depart from me worker of iniquity, I knew you not."

I firmly believe that every word of the Bible points to Jesus Christ; it all leads directly to him. When preaching any portion of the Word of God, we must point to the Word that became flesh and dwelt amongst us. This is a laborious task as we must studiously seek the Word by meditating upon the law of the Lord day and night. It appears to me that revivalism theology makes an effort to hold to this, but only half heatedly as, message after message, the same basic gospel tenets are proposed. It seems to neglect teaching the whole council of the Word,and rather focuses solely upon the responsibility of man.  Another popular form is preaching from any text in scripture and then placing a detached gospel tag at the end, ultimately leaving many people confused as to how it fits. 

So, my practical question is this: when we come to Romans 13:1-7 on submission to governing authorities, must you finish with 1 Corinthians 15:3,4 no matter what? This is not an oversimplification. Really should every message contain the historical points of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection preached repetitively as the invitation? I agree we must preach the gospel, but can the gospel be preached in another way than just this recurring sermon tag at the end? Shouldn't the preacher labor in his creative talent and knowledge of the Word applying the biblical passage aforementioned, to demonstrate how it leads to the cross? Does the gospel tag harden the hearts and the heads of the people as they repetitiously hear the same thing over and over? Or am I throwing out the baby with the bath water?

Placing the gospel into a formula, tract, or program is damaging and useless as the invitation, decision, praying the prayer, taking the hand, walking the aisle, have all become. These practices have become nothing more than the Baptist liturgy by which people are deceived into thinking they are okay--thus, the hardness of heart. How are we to constantly call for a response to the gospel with out creating such a problem? Or does the very nature of the gospel itself and the preaching of the Word of God automatically call people to respond to such truth?

Should we preach the good news every time we step into the pulpit? Yes! Should it be the revivalist message? Should it be something more or less? Does the gospel tag harden hearts? How do we preach the gospel? Personally, the point I have come to is to preach the Word of God, diligently laboring to equip the saints to do the work of the ministry proclaiming Jesus Christ as preeminent and above all things. By the Grace of God I go!

4 comments:

EDHYDE said...

good stuff, Brian.

I have really enjoyed Clowney and Keller on preaching Christ from any text.

I downloaded their classes on Preaching Christ in the Postmodern World or something like that from RTS. You might enjoy it.

In regards to Rom. 13:1-7 and I Corr 15:3-4. I agree that it would be disjointed to tack that on to the end.

But I don't think it should be too hard from that text... submit to authorities well Christ submitted to authority (John 18:6-8). What about bad governers are they really God's servants for our good? Well was Pilate a servant for our good? Did Pilate bear the sword in vain? or was something accomplished through his use of the "sword"? Was God's wrath avenged on calvary?

What about people who have been rebellious to governing authority? Well was not Christ's submission imputed onto them on calvary? I believe that could do much for the conscience.

Paying taxes? Did not Peter and Jesus pay taxes? Even taxes that paid the very soldiers that would soon beat him.

Those are just my thoughts, and if I have erred I hope you will show me. Just remember that I am an uneducated layman.

God Bless

EDHYDE said...

This is my Third attempt to reply, because of internet issues.

So, I misunderstood the point of your post completely. I probably skipped that last paragraph in retrospect.

I agree there is a type of preaching which would treat your text like this. Moralism + Gospel: 'hey everybody submit to authority and your life will be better, really and before everybody gets up and completely forgets everything I just said I Corr. 15:3-4 so you don't go to hell.'

Which I think is poor preaching but as long as the word of God is read I think it will be used of God. I too am apt to critisize preaching but after reading Jonah 3:4 I am less apt to do so.

I do fear for the preacher on account of numerous verses but notably 2Tim 2:15 and James 3:1. But at the same I trust that God will direct goats into his path and sheep to greener pastures.

What irritates me more is this Purpose-Driven Madness. I have found "Ashamed of the Gospel" by Macarthur to be worthwhile read on the dangers of pragmatism. I also really like the way Matt Chandler is trying to deal with these cheap grace converts produced by the preaching you have described. He says,'I have to get my congregation lost before they can be saved.'

Good Links:
http://www.alittleleaven.com/purpose_driven_madness/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5YzI7b92L8

God Bless

As for us let's preach the word and the Word!

EDHYDE said...

o and yea you can post on my site that's great, I enjoy comments

EDHYDE said...

Ok, I think I see your point now. I'm so daft. I dont know if you follow the pyromaniacs blog, but Phil Johnson has been posting some great stuff on this subject. Also I heard on the Al Mohler program about some guy from Gordon Conwell that has written a really good series of books on this subject the last beeing, "The courage to be protestant" It's on my list of books to get the library to buy. HA.

Anyway, are you pastoring these days? Still in seminary? What has been the most valuable thing(s) you have learned in Seminary?

God Bless