Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Blessings

Ps 84:11, 12--"For the Lord God is a sun and sheild; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." 

Great comfort comes by this passage in the dark hours of life. Death has been all around this week with the passing of family members in other parts of the country, and family of church members passing. I am reminded that all things work together for the good of those are called and loved of God, for those who love God. As a child of God, who loves God, standing on the promises of God is to really trust God working for your good even in the death of a loved one, not just for you, but for those around you, and ultimately for his Glory. God is good and working for the good even in the death of those closest to you. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly! So, If we have the uprightness that comes through Jesus Christ our Lord, even the death of a loved one is a good thing. 

I am not to say that mourning, sadness, lament, or suffering are not real and genuine emotions to experience in the loss of a loved one, there is a time and place for these things. A morbid, detached, and disingenuine joy is not what is being prescribed. But do not grow weary in doing good, knowing that this life is fading, yet our inner man is being built up, so don't live for the seen, but for the unseen that is eternal and unfading. The joy of the Lord is our strength!

I mourn the loss of five different people over the course of this last month, some more well known than others, and these are just the few of my subjective experience. Yet in the same breath I bless the Lord with my soul, blessed is he that trusts in the Lord. I praise God that he witholds nothing good from those who walk uprightly. I rejoice that in faithfulness he has afflicted me (Ps 119:76). I rejoice in the joy of his salvation, that I have been called and loved of Christ Jesus my Lord.  

1 comment:

EDHYDE said...

Ps 116:15
Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

So I wonder how you would handle this situation. My boss and I were talking the other day on the subject of abortion, which I said was murder. He said, Late-term is murder. By the grace of God I was stopped from saying anyting. Because he explained that his wife and him aborted a baby because had a condition where he/she would not have a skull. I told him about a couple in my church in a similar situation that went ahead and both mother and baby survived the pregnancy!!

I hope it will come up again and we can talk about eternal things. Anyway, what would you say in such a situation?