Saturday, July 17, 2010

Earlier this year I was privileged to take a trip to Shone Ethiopia. God blessed the trip in many ways. Below is a thank you letter to all who supported my trip giving a few details. Even though I was able to send it to many people I believe it will be profitable to post this letter here.

Thank You!

I am writing this letter to you a few short weeks after a successful trip to Ethiopia. I know that the time is past due for a much-deserved thank you to those who have supported my trip; nevertheless, I lingered in my giving of thanks to those who have helped my journey overseas for a few significant reasons.

· First, I wanted to properly process the entirety of the fantastic things that God has done while on this trip.

· Second, I’m still not done processing! My prayer and desire is for the church and those who supported financially to receive the most benefit, so I linger.

· Third, while I have been overwhelmed with responsibilities upon my return, it has not been as overwhelming as the stark contrast between our world and the one I just returned from, so I linger.

Lingering no longer, I want to express my deepest and sincere gratitude for your gift. I was among 15 people who went to Shone (show’-nay), Ethiopia to build a basketball court in the poorest province in one of the most impoverished nations on the planet. Almost nothing went right and most things did not go as scheduled, but God moved among us the entire time. There are immeasurable blessings to be counted, and you are a part of them through your prayer and giving.

We planned to build a basketball court but were only able to finish half, leaving the rest for a local contractor to complete. We gave 200 children school uniforms and 120 children shoes. While it was wonderful to be able to provide for so many it was also very heart breaking to witness that, in spite of all we gave, it was not enough. To our great joy, many have responded with gifts to provide 216 more shoes and 176 more school uniforms to be delivered later in the summer. I praise God for the provision.

While it was an immeasurable blessing to help in these visible ways, our team learned a great lesson on this trip. We westerners often think that poor education or a lack of resources and material wealth is the greatest hardship for people in these conditions, but the chief need that I witnessed was not the need for material wealth. Do not misunderstand me; my heart broke when I saw so many go without basic things. I would love for those who lack food, clothing, and good water to receive these amenities that we take for granted, but these are still secondary. The greatest need in Africa is the same as it is here in the United States—Jesus! The great news that God has provided a way for us to him through Jesus is what they need. I praise God that he allowed us to use secondary things to achieve the most important task we have been given.

Multiple times on our journey we were able to proclaim the gospel of God for those who would hear. While helping build a basketball court, I was able to disciple and teach fourteen Christians from the Scriptures for

eleven days straight. We also strengthened the local church in Shone as we gave money to them in a great time of need. The leadership invited me to preach through an interpreter one afternoon, which was unexpected, yet enthusiastically done. After only a few hours notice, I gave my testimony, preached the gospel, and spoke about the greatest need for the body of Christ both in Shone and in America. My prayer is that I was able to strengthen their hand from the Scriptures.

Measuring the success of our trip by the world’s standards would render it an abject failure; thankfully, Christians operate from a different economy. We succeeded in our mission because, when we were afforded the opportunities, we proclaimed Jesus Christ crucified in both word and deed. We worked as unto the Lord in every situation, seeking to bring glory to our God and king. The locals expected us to work little, talk much, and leave without impacting them. Instead we worked hard, preached Christ, and everyone involved was impacted greatly.

My hope and prayer is that we could strengthen the hand of the local church in Shone, Ethiopia in numerous ways. First and foremost, we need to pray for the salvation of the children in the Look Development program. Secondly, supporting a child through Look Development would make the difference for one child and one family hopefully for eternity. Thirdly, please pray for the church in Shone that they might grow as a bold witness in such a dark place.

Again, I thank you for you support and prayers. God Bless you!

Brian W. Johnson

If you are interested in supporting a child, please visit http://www.lookdevelopment.org/

To view a slideshow of the trip, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDyChw0aiBs

1 comment:

LittleWomen21 said...

Did you go with the Frudes? I didn't know you were on their team. I loved getting to read your letter and will look at the slide show next.

Praise the Lord you got to preach and teach and share your testimony. I pray there is hope where there wasn't before, light where there was darkness. That the name of Jesus would make people's hearts tremble with joy.